Wednesday, February 24, 2010

New 2010 Rod!

So my absolutely wonderful, amazing girlfriend who fully supports my fly fishing addiction decided to be the biggest sweetheart ever and surprise me on Valentine's Day with a brand new fly rod! With the help of Big R Fly Shop, she narrowed her purchase down to the new 2010 St. Croix 11 foot 6 weight Imperial Switch rod. I am ecstatic! I've been wanting to experiment with a switch rod for awhile now, to learn the different types of switch and spey casting techniques. I've been told that this type of rod and along with these casting styles is a match made in heaven for the Missouri River. Not only is this rod a great application for nymph, dry fly, and streamer fishing, this setup can also be used for swinging for steelhead and smaller salmon; a venue of fishing I have always wanted to get into. With this rod, I just might become the next Jedi Master! Well maybe not, but I do salivate at the possibility of what this rod and style of fly fishing has to offer. I've yet to find a line and reel for the rod, not even sure where to begin my search for a great combo, so if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to let me in on some info. I'm hoping to have the setup ready to fish before spring fully hits. My current 9 foot 5 weight Imperial rod has served me well over the past year as it will continue to do so for years to come. I am excited, to say the least, that I will be able to experience the same type of buttery, fast action appeal the Imperial line offers. These rods really are in a class all there own with price tag that doesn't make you feel guilty for owning one. Thank you St. Croix..., and to my girlfriend!
 
Read about the Imperial Fly Rod line here.

No comments:

Post a Comment